We are looking for volunteers who can commit at least 3-4 hours a week depending on site on an ongoing basis. Full DBS check and travel expenses covered. To attend regular meetings taking place every other Friday for advice, training and support
The role as a Food Bank Assistant Volunteer
- Welcome clients to the foodbank centre
- Confirm referrals and prepare food parcels according to the standard packing lists
- Make refreshments and tidy up as required during the session
- Offer a listening ear and signpost clients, as required, to further support, using information from the signposting folder/leaflets
- Ensure that clients sign the information sheet, stored securely within the bounds of data protection
- Check stock for imminent ‘best before’ dates, place out-of-date food in the appropriate box in the store room for disposal and record the action
- Wear a name badge during the session
- Work under the guidance of the session leader and report any health & safety or safeguarding concerns to the Food Bank manager/session supervisor
- Demonstrate a professional and positive attitude in all Spring Community Hub related activities
Skills you will gain:
- Providing a holistic service by signposting guests to additional services, so we can address the underlying causes of food inequality and empower people so that they never need to visit a Food Bank again.
- Work closely with the Food Bank Coordinator to accommodate all activities required to be undertaken in the sessions.
Skills we are looking for:
- Experience of customer service or dealing with a diverse range of people.
- Good listening skills.
- An ability to communicate well and with confidence when handling enquiries.
- Awareness of the Welfare System and circumstances that may bring people to our service.
- A non-judgemental attitude towards people’s problems and challenges faced in their lives.
- A warm and friendly approach.
If you are studying or researching a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths (STEM) related subject and want to volunteer and share your knowledge and experience with young people, you could become a STEM Ambassador.