Spring Community Hub exists to make sure no one in our community goes hungry. But we don’t just provide food, we work alongside people to help them escape food poverty, build confidence and find community.
Our vision at Spring Community Hub is to tackle food poverty and hunger. We want to see equality in our communities and be a vehicle for positive and lasting change in our clients so that they never need a Food Bank again.
Without our service, many of the individuals and families we support would be experiencing food insecurity and inequalities. We work alongside people to help them escape food poverty, build confidence and find community
Based on the first London-based survey on food insecurity, which included Southwark residents, 23.5% of Southwark residents aged 16+, and 25.8% of 0-16-year-olds in Southwark are food insecure. This is significantly higher than the London average of 21% for adults and 17.5% for children.
Prevalence of food insecurity among Black residents of Southwark is much higher than among White residents (46% compared with 9%). Prevalence is also high amongst people who are unemployed, long-term sick, or disabled (over half).
Additionally, the following proxy measures suggest many Southwark residents are at risk of being food insecure:
- 4 in 10 Southwark residents live in areas considered the most deprived nationally
- 5.8% of adults of working age are unemployed, the fifth-highest rate in London
- 1 in 3 people over the age of 60 are income deprived
We are looking for those who align with our ethos and values and have the following Personal qualities, attitudes, skills, experience, and knowledge
- Respectful -
- Good listening skills -
- Reliable -
- Good communication and interpersonal skills -
- Able to maintain confidentiality. -
- Empathetic to those in the community and issues affecting our guests-
- Friendly and professional.
- Being non-advisory — even if you feel you have useful advice to give, it is not our place as a service to do so
- Being non-directional — trying not to explain or interpret the guest's issues or lead the conversation
We are different because we look to provide a holistic service, where we look at the whole person and to identify ways to empower each individual in a personalised way. The food that we provide is predominately fresh and culturally sensitive and we aim to source local produce.