- We are looking for 'Get Active' befrienders for a sports and physical activity-based befriending programme. The project connects adults who may be lonely and keen to start exercising with a local volunteer befriender, who can share their love of being active and help them try new things.
- Activities can include anything from community walks, strength and balance classes, gym sessions, yoga, walking football and everything in-between. It can even be a passion for watching and supporting your local sports team. Budding friendships can be formed over new activities and sports, or even just getting out for some fresh air.
- Volunteers will meet up with their befriendee once a week for 1 hour to take part in a physical activity of their choice. This often starts with a regular walk in a local park in order to get to know each other, and may progress to other sports or activities depending on the befriendee's interests, goals & abilities.
- We are looking for a confident and caring individual who would like to help someone who is a bit lonely to Get Active! You must have good communication and listening skills and the ability to build relationships with others easily. The program is a great opportunity for people seeking work experience in health and social care or who are keen to give back to the community.
- Social isolation is a growing problem in our communities & a person can find themselves feeling isolated for a variety of reasons. Volunteer befrienders are a lifeline to members who may go weeks without being able to engage in meaningful conversation.
- It can be difficult to get started with 'Getting Active', especially after a period of illness or isolation, so a befriender can be the support a person needs to make lasting change in their lifestyle & see huge improvement in their mental & physical health.
- By pairing adults who want to exercise with encouraging and supportive befrienders, the world of sport and activity can be opened up, and both can motivate each other to keep going as well as making new friends & trying new things.
If you are studying or researching a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths (STEM) related subject and want to volunteer and share your knowledge and experience with young people, you could become a STEM Ambassador.
We are looking for dedicated, compassionate and empathetic workshop chairs to support with the safe running of the workshops.