As part of King's Refugee Community Sponsorship Scheme, we match Ukrainian refugees arriving on the Homes for Ukraine scheme with hosts from the King's community and provide wraparound support to help them successfully resettle in the UK and keep in touch with their education.
Hosts and guests are designated a ‘case worker’ from the Sanctuary Programme team to support them through the sponsorship process. We would like to assign a volunteer to each guest as an additional point of contact who will provide post-arrival check-in support through online or in-person meetings.
- Lead 4 post-arrival meetings online at months 1, 3, 5 and 6 with the guest (or guests depending on number of people in the group).
- Template post-arrival meeting forms will be provided to help guide discussion during the meeting.
- Report back to the Sanctuary Team on guest(s) progress using the template post-arrival meeting forms.
- Direct the guest(s) to key information via the Sanctuary Programme Resource Hub.
- Direct enquiries or safeguarding concerns to the Sanctuary Team.
- Each case requires a time commitment of approximately 6 hours over 6 months:
- 4 x 30-minute post-arrival meetings at months 1, 3, 5 and 6 (2 hours)
- 30-minutes for preparing for each meeting and reporting back via the template post-arrival meeting forms (2 hours)
- 1-hour training about the Homes for Ukraine University Sponsorship Model
- 1-hour safeguarding training
If you are studying or researching a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths (STEM) related subject and want to volunteer and share your knowledge and experience with young people, you could become a STEM Ambassador.
Do you want to make a real difference to a young person's life? If you are a current university student of any subject (or have graduated within the last 2 years), this opportunity could be for you!