We are looking for friendly and engaging volunteers to support our weekly tutoring sessions, who can make a difference to the often-challenging lives of children and young people living in inner city London. As an tutoring volunteer, you will enable us to support young people with their studies who might not have support at home or school.
Monday In Person Tutoring – 4-6pm @ Coin Street Neighbourhood centre
Wednesday Online Tutoring – 4-6pm on Zoom
Tutoring sessions for young people ages 10-18 years provide a safe and friendly space to do homework, go over concepts and learning and do revision. Your time will make a huge impact on young people who need academic support.
This academic year we are planning for sessions to take place in person and online using Zoom. In person sessions will be held at the Coin Street neighbourhood centre in Waterloo with refreshments and materials provided. Online sessions will use breakout rooms so that pairs and small groups can work together but request support from Coin Street staff if they need help at any point.
- Work with a young person 1:1 for 1hr a week in a subject where they need support. Every effort will be made to match tutors and students so both are happy with the subject covered and the partnership.
- In the session students might need help with homework, going over concepts and learning or revision. Most students bring work with them, if they do not then the tutor can work with Coin Street staff to find relevant resources.
- If the student cannot make the session tutors might be asked to tutor other students.
- Plan for future sessions
- Attend an induction session that will include information about Coin Street, safeguarding and maintaining boundaries.
- Be vigilant to any safeguarding or health and safety concerns and flag them up with the appropriate staff member as soon as possible.
If you are studying or researching a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths (STEM) related subject and want to volunteer and share your knowledge and experience with young people, you could become a STEM Ambassador.
We are looking for dedicated, compassionate and empathetic workshop chairs to support with the safe running of the workshops.