The role of a reading helper places you in the heart of primary school life. You’ll be leading reading sessions that bring a positive reading experience to children outside of the classroom. Children will benefit from someone giving them 1:1 support.
You will need to:
• Attend school weekly in the afternoon session(s) during which you’ll see the same children each week
• Independently lead your sessions; you’ll have access to our brilliant books, online portal and will quickly get into the swing of what works well for each child
• Liaise with school staff and our team as required
- • You’ll be able to directly help children in your local community, using your skills to give something back by sharing a love of reading with the younger generation
- • The role can also improve your wellbeing, giving structure to your week and you’ll be feeling helpful and gain a new sense of purpose
- • If you’re developing your career, you’ll be able to gain and evidence new skills and get experience of the school environment
- • You’ll be joining our reading community with opportunities to connect with other volunteers and our team
You will gain valuable experience within a school setting
Someone who is over 18, with a passion for reading.
Someone who is comfortable working with primary aged children 1:1 in a school environment.
You will need to complete an enhanced DBS.
If you are studying or researching a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths (STEM) related subject and want to volunteer and share your knowledge and experience with young people, you could become a STEM Ambassador.
Team Up is looking for dynamic volunteer tutors to help transform the future prospects of underperforming pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Do you want to make a real difference to a young person's life? If you are a current university student of any subject (or have graduated within the last 2 years), this opportunity could be for you!