- Providing information, support and reassurance to an older person prior to their admission to hospital, and on their discharge (for up to 18 weeks);
- Keeping in touch on a regular basis to promote wellbeing and reduce feelings of loneliness; This will be in the form of face to face meetings in the older persons home or a mix of telephone calls and face to face.
- Referring to Link Age Southwark services from which the older person might benefit, e.g. activity groups, befriending and events;
- Signposting to other local support networks from which the older person might benefit, e.g. Time and Talents, Blackfriars Settlement, etc.
- Keeping in touch with the team at Link Age Southwark regarding the wellbeing of the person you are supporting.
What’s in it for you?
- you will be gaining a new experience in your local community, getting to know an older person
- being part of a great team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff
- you will be playing a vital part in easing loneliness and isolation of an older person and help them get the best from life
- you will be entitled to claim reasonable expenses
- we can provide references after you have completed 3 months in a volunteering role with Link Age Southwark
- Enrich your CV
As well as attending our induction you will have opportunities to attend other training including Emergency First Aid, Mental Health Awareness and Assisting People with Mobility Needs
What you need to be a successful Hospital Buddy
- a cheerful and friendly personality
- effective communication/listening skills
- commitment to keeping in touch with an older person for 1-2 hours per week, for up to 6 months
- good timekeeping and reliability
- be empathetic towards the needs of older people
- patient, understanding and non-judgemental attitude
- to attend all relevant training so that you are ready and confident in your role
- complete a fully enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service application (we will pay for this)
- provide two referees whom you have known for at least 2 years for a character reference, ideally one of which should be from a previous employer, education or volunteer organisation
- understanding and commitment to working within the policies of Link Age Southwark, in particular health and safety, confidentiality, safeguarding and equality and diversity.
Make local green spaces more colourful and vibrant through helping with planting, watering and weeding. Learn about how to bring wildlife into urban places through planting and looking after the environment. Address: Bernie Spain Gardens, SE1 9PH.
Would you like to help a young person in your local community prosper? You’ve come to the right place! ReachOut are looking for volunteers to join us for 2 hours a week as a mentor to young people in need of a positive role model.