Walking alongside people in their grief.
Trained volunteers offer emotional support and compassionate listening to bereaved adults in Islington in one-to-one and group settings.
Your role is to provide support to bereaved people living within the London Borough of Islington who are eligible to access support through this Bereavement Peer Support Service. This work includes supporting relatives, carers and friends of people who have died and who are residents of the Borough of Islington.
You will be expected to:
- Visit a bereaved community member once a week for at least one hour for 10 weeks and allow the community member to talk whilst you ‘listen actively’.
- Develop a trusting relationship to support and, where appropriate, enable the community member to pursue social activities and life skills.
- Engage in friendly conversation. It is important not to impose your opinions and beliefs on the community member.
- Signpost to other organisations
- Provide practical support if appropriate.
- A reference on request
- Travel expenses paid
- Connecting with the community
- New skills and experience
- Supervision and support
- How and where to signpost volunteers to support services.
If you are studying or researching a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths (STEM) related subject and want to volunteer and share your knowledge and experience with young people, you could become a STEM Ambassador.
Team Up is looking for dynamic volunteer tutors to help transform the future prospects of underperforming pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Do you want to make a real difference to a young person's life? If you are a current university student of any subject (or have graduated within the last 2 years), this opportunity could be for you!