Do you want to do something different this term and help make education fairer? We train volunteers in coaching techniques (popular in the executive world) to support young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
SSAT Leadership Award Accredited.
CoachBright is a social mobility charity, established in 2014, which aims to make education fairer. We do this by pairing volunteers with pupils from less-advantaged backgrounds, providing them with academic coaching that aims to improve their grades, confidence, independence and resilience.
Over the last academic year, we have worked with over 4000 pupils across our 4 main hubs: London, the South East, South West and West Midlands. With the support of a fantastic community of university student volunteers, we are able to provide pupils with relatable role models who support them in working towards their goals.
The Role: A-Level Academic Coach
- You will be responsible for planning and delivering weekly academic coaching sessions to 2-3 pupils.
- Your coaching will be in one of the following subjects: Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, English Language, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Economics, History, Sociology, Psychology, Business Studies (your preference!)
- Sessions will run face-to-face at one of our partner schools, or online
- Sessions will take place on the same day at the same time each week
- You will form part of a wider community of volunteers, both on your programme and beyond!
Our programmes are 15 hours long, running weekly over a term.
We work in schools all across (region), and will try our best to place you on a programme that is convenient to your addressAll travel expenses will be reimbursed by CoachBright.
Before beginning your coaching programme, you will attend a full day training session with the team, where you will learn coaching skills and techniques, session planning and safeguarding.
By volunteering with us, you will…
- Help young people from disadvantaged backgrounds build confidence, independence and resilience in their learning.
- Gain transferable skills in leadership, communication, and relationship-building.
- Have access to coaching skills workshops, ran by qualified coaches.
- Receive a SSAT accreditation - a formal student leadership accreditation worth £500! https://www.ssatuk.co.uk/cpd/student-leadership/student-leadership-accre....
- Gain experience in education, youth work and social justice.
- Boost your CV and employability, gain professional references.
What You'll Learn:
- Coaching skills - popular in the executive world.
- Leadership, time management, presentation and communication skills.
- Experience of working with young people, in education and in charities.
- Theory and reality of social mobility in the UK.
If you are studying or researching a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Maths (STEM) related subject and want to volunteer and share your knowledge and experience with young people, you could become a STEM Ambassador.